Monday, September 17, 2012

Let's Talk LIP TARS - Are you down with OCC?

You down with OCC? YEAH YOU KNOW ME! OK now that I got that out of my system...seriously let's talk about OCC's Lip Tars. What's a Lip Tar? How do I use them? Do I need them?

I first heard about these lovely lippies from a makeup video I was watching one day. The woman said she was mixing some Lip Tars to create the color she wanted. This of course intrigued me.  A couple of Google clicks later, and next thing I knew I had purchased 2 sets of Lip Tars; Brights and Neutrals from Beauty.com.  Let's begin with the basics:

  1. What is a Lip Tar?:  Lip Tars are described as essentially a hybrid between a lipstick and a gloss. They give you the wear and coverage of an opaque lipstick, but apply somewhat like a gloss.
  2. How do I use them?: The reason I wrote they apply "somewhat like a gloss" is because while they do come out of a squeeze tube, they are best applied only with a brush, and the amount you use is the size of the head of a pin.  Trust me this tiny amount will cover your full mouth. 
  3. Do I need them?:  If you are someone who loves makeup, and really loves trying out new lip products, then yes, I would recommend this product for you. It's truly unique and because you need to use such a small amount of product with each application, one tube will last you forever. Plus, they are fully mixable, so you can have a lot of fun mixing your own custom colors. So as you can see from my collection, I basically have enough to last the rest of my life!
As I mentioned above, I purchased my Lip Tars in sets. While they are also sold individually, Beauty.com sells them in 2 sets; neutrals and brights. Each set comes with 6 colors and a very good quality brush for $49.50.  If you plan to purchase more than one color, you may want to take a look at the sets instead.

There has been a lot of hype around the new shade Nylon, which is a Sephora exclusive. This uber bright pink will liven up even the most boring of makeup looks. I was unsure if I wanted to buy this shade because it looked similar to two other shades I already owned from the Bright set.  I've swatched the 3 similar colors side by side for you to see:


Pictured above, from left to right: Nylon, Anime and Pretty Boy

Should you choose to buy a set, here is a closer look at the brush that comes with it. This is an excellent quality lip brush, and I really like that it's not a retractable, like so many other lip brushes are. Also, like all my brushes, this brush is synthetic and cruelty free.



 To show you how some of these look actually applied to the lip, I've applied a few of my favorite shades for you to see.  Here's a sampling of some of the shades I own:


This first shade (pictured above) is Nylon. It's exclusive to Sephora and a new shade to OCC.

Next, is a shade called NSFW, this came in my Neutrals set. It's a dark wine colored red, that I think will be great for Fall:



Next is Trollop. This shade, I've not only used on my lips, but also took the tiniest bit and blended it onto my cheekbones as I would a cream blush. I frequently use this product instead of a traditional blush because I love the natural flush it gives me.



 Finally, we have Interlace. This is a muted neutral color that would look great if you were doing a really intense smokey eye look or any very dramatic look to help add balance to the look.


I hope you enjoyed this peak at my OCC Lip Tar collection. For more info visit: www.occmakeup.com

OCC is 100% Vegan and cruelty free!

2 comments:

  1. I really love the colors and they great on you! I have not purchased these yet, but I should put it on my list!! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm dying to get my hands on NSFW and black dahlia. they look great! and I love your blog ;D

    ReplyDelete

Comments/Questions are highly encouraged. However please refrain from posting links to other sites. I cannot always respond personally to every post, but appreciate and read them all.